Other things to know about

Where can I shop?

There are several supermarkets around LCC: Maxima, IKI, Rimi as well as smaller shops located in residential areas.  These stores are stocked with a full range of breads, vegetables and fruit, dairy products, etc. all year round. The local market in the Old Town has a variety of produce, fresh meat, and dairy.  You will find some stores in the center but, most of them are located in big shopping malls such as: “Akropolis”, “BIG”, “BIG-2″, “Herkaus Galerija”, “Mega Plaza”, “Studlentas”, “Banginis”, “Arena”, so it is quite simple to go shopping, because, most of the shops are under one roof.  The biggest shopping mall is “Akropolis” and it is one of the biggest shopping malls in the Baltics. Its attractions include cinema, skating rink, restaurants, shops, supermarket, gym, pizzerias and so on.

How can I get around?

The most popular form of transportation in Klaipėda is on foot; however, the public transportation system in Klaipėda is reasonably priced and convenient. Buses and “microbuses” (the equivalent to a 12-seat van) cover the city extensively. Buses offer a student discount if you show a student ID and cost 0.50 €; microbuses cost 1 € per ride. To get to the beaches or some suburbs, bicycle may be a reasonable option, as it allows to explore both city and its surroundings in more detail and without losing significant amount of time. Getting around in Lithuania is also relatively easy and inexpensive. You may get a 50% discount on rail and bus tickets with a student card. Trains and buses cover routes between Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Russia, Belarus, Poland and Germany (via Poland). Ferries run from Klaipėda to Germany, Sweden and Denmark.  

Is Klaipėda safe?

Klaipėda is a safe place but like anywhere you have to use common sense. Students are encouraged to be aware of potential problems and not put themselves or others at risk. Students preparing to come to LCC should be aware that Lithuania is not an ethnically diverse nation (more than 80% of the country are of Lithuanian background and the majority of others are of other Baltic heritage). The country presently does not have a large number of citizens who are not ethnically white. The LCC community promotes respect for all students; however, in Klaipeda and other parts of Lithuania, students may not experience the same kind of respect or welcome. Unfortunately, visible minority students will experience stares or looks of surprise in the Klaipeda community.  

What are legal status requirements for International students?

The Republic of Lithuania Migration Law requires all foreigners who are involved in some formal activity (studying, working) while in Lithuania to obtain a Visa or a Temporary Residence Permit (TRP). LCC students are expected to conduct themselves as responsible citizens, which includes obeying the civil law. 

 All LCC international students who are not Lithuanian citizens must obtain a Lithuanian Temporary Residence Permit (TRP) – a document that allows residing and studying in Lithuania. Usually, it is valid for one year and needs to be extended annually. Due to the fact, that TRP decision takes up to 5 months to be made, freshmen students come to Lithuania with Visa D during their first year until they receive their TRP. 

 In accordance with the law, foreigners without legal status cannot reside on LCC property. Therefore, students without a valid Visa D or TRP will not be allowed to live in the dormitory. Students will also not be permitted to attend classes unless they have a valid Visa D or TRP. 

 The LCC Migration Affairs Coordinator assists international students in obtaining the Visa D and TRP annually. A lot of communication related to that goes on electronically; thus, we encourage you to check your LCC e-mail account regularly. If you have questions regarding migration issues, you can always email: visa@lcc.lt.  

What about my health insurance?

LCC works the local insurance broker to choose a medical insurance provider. The company makes sure LCC students are properly insured under a reliable and cost-effective insurance scheme. Thus, all non-EU students are required to acquire this particular insurance. Insurance cost varies each year is around 200 EUR per year. LCC will make the payment for the insurance. However, it is the responsibility of each student to reimburse the University for it. Health insurance covers emergency medical expenses such as doctor’s visits, medicines prescribed by the doctor as part of necessary treatment, hospital stays and emergency dental treatment. However, students may be required to pay for the expenses up front and then be refunded by the insurance company. Most medications and medical supplies can be purchased at local pharmacies, though preferred brands may not be available. If you are on prescription medication it is advisable to bring a supply with you. LCC does not have a supply of medications or a nurse on staff. Assistance with Insurance and making medical appointments can be provided by the Student Life Office Assistant.  

IMPORTANT: if you are on any form of long-term medication or have a chronic health condition, it is imperative you inform LCC before your arrival. It is advised for students that have chronic conditions to purchase additional insurance as this insurance will not cover medical treatment of chronic conditions. Students from EU countries are advised to get European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from their local Health office. More on EHIChttp://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=509&langId=enLithuanian students are insured under the State Insurance Scheme.